For over 20 years West Lutheran High School has offered a 2-week European educational experience. This experience is offered to parents, students, teachers, and past alumni alike as it takes you to selected countries of Europe. Along the way the fun educational content that is experienced includes the plethora of sounds, tastes, sights, and smells of the different European cultures in a 2-week whirlwind tour. Anywhere from England to France to Italy to Greece, The West Lutheran European trips are essentially a classroom on the move that helps enhance the educational journey well beyond your 4 years of high school at West Lutheran.
You can sign up on the ACIS website under Across the Alps
Group ID: 9362
LEARNING OBJECTIVES - Across the Alps:
Comparative architecture amid Florentine landmarks.
The Alps: How geopraphy shapes politics, economics and language.
Students will become familiar with some of the examples of Italian art, including Michelangelo's statue of David.
The origins and impact of Swiss neutrality.
European Trip Frequently Asked Questions
1. Who's in charge of the trip? The trip is led by the world-renown travel company ACIS & Mr. Phil Meitner whom has vast experience in the area of world travel.
2. When is the trip offered? The trip takes place the spring of even years (2014, 2016, 2018, etc.), leaving the week after graduation.
3. What are the accommodations? Minimum 4-star accommodations in all the places the group stays.
4. What is the cost of the trip? The cost depends on the tour taken. Past trips have been in the range of $5,000-$5,500.
5. What is all included with the cost of the trip? Airfare, hotels, transportation (bus/train/cruise ship), 2 meals per day, and most major sights and walking tours.
6. Can I get academic credit? Yes, a 0.5 social studies credit is earned through the extensive keeping of a detailed journal which is then handed in to the group leader at the the end of the trip.
7. What about security? ACIS has a 24-hour global support network in case of any emergency.
8. Is there insurance? Yes, there's a basic protection plan which provides medical coverage and insurance.
9. Do we have a guide through the entire trip? Yes, ACIS provides the service of a tour manager. This is a highly trained, multilingual guide, educator, and travel expert who provides educational commentary and activities in addition to managing the travel logistics.
Big Ben Clock Tower Eiffel Tower The Acropolis, Greece
West student Isak Preus & his portrait in Momarte - Art district in Paris, France
Testimonials from Past Students & Teachers
"Seeing all the different cultures was amazing" - Danielle Hicks ('12)
"I loved watching the all the things I learned in Western Civ come to life" - Isak Preus ('12)
"Phenominal architecture and art as well as amazing food" - Rudy Nelson ('12)
West kids in Trafalgar Square, London West group at Windsor Palace
"I loved seeing all the things I've learned in real time" - Tyler Krueger ('12)
"The trip was so much fun. It is a great opportunity to spend the trip of a lifetime with your friends in so many amazing countries." - Ashley Schendel ('10)
"I loved all the different kinds of food we got to try, mostly the gelato." - Anneliese Preus ('10)
"This trip really showed me all the possibilities that are open." - Maggie Franz ('10)
West Students in London, England West students in Vatican City
"The Europe trip was a trip of a lifetime! I made the best memories and rarely go a day without brining it up." - Erin Oakland ('10)
"This trip helped bring history to life for me." - Scott Anderson ('10)
"It was so cool to see all these places we learned about in Western Civ. It was amazing to see how it all came to life." - Mary Janisch ('10)
Arc de Triomphe West kids in Engelberg, Switzerland
"The Europe trip has enhance my teaching of Western Civilization and changed my ministry forever." - Mr. Veach ('08)
"My Europe experience only makes me want to do the trip again." - Matt Meitner ('02,'04,'06)
"Europe was fun in experiencing the different cultures in different countries." - Olivia Smith ('08)
Bay of Naples Sorrento, Italy London Underground
"Being in Europe with my classmates and close friends was the most fun thing I've ever done. The times and memories we shared together will last a lifetime." - Aaron Johnson ('08)
"It was great to see western civilization that I learned in school in real life." - Amanda Johnson ('08)
" I would so love to come back one day, it was such an awesome experience." - Julie Martin ('02)
Trevi Fountain, Rome Fountains of Versailles Pompeii, Italy
"Europe was a really fun experience. It was great to go around and see all the sights." - Taylor Funk ('08)
"Europe was a great time and I learned a lot from the experience. My favorite part was seeing the colleseum but everything was AWESOME!" - Anthony Schendel ('08)
"Keep your passport secure at all times." - Alex Harker ('08)
Notre Dame, Paris Vatican City English Palace Guards
"It was a sic trip. We got to see many new places that had different kinds of art to offer us." - Tyler Zemke ('10)
"Our English tour manager was amazing." - Nik Schultz ('02)
"It's a trip I still remember as if it were yesterday." - Peter Grubbs ('94)
Venice, Italy Salzburg, Austria London, England
Tower Bridge, London Capri, Italy
Palace of Vesailles Wimbledon Center Court Spanish steps in Rome